A History of Port Deposit, Maryland
The Port Deposit area was explored by Europeans in 1608, when Captain John Smith traveled from the Chesapeake Bay to the Susquehanna River. By 1720, the town was created and became an important port for shipping forest, mill, and mine products from eastern Pennsylvania.
A stop at Nesbitt Hall or the Paw Paw Building, the town's museum, will reveal much about the town's past. Visit the Gerry House, where Lafayette dined in 1824, to learn about the town's Civil War history. Another spot of interest is the Anchor and Hope Farm, which was once the Ferry House in the area.